Knights Academy became a Specialist Sports Academy in September 2005.
Since this time pupils have gone on to achieve sporting excellence across a range of activities at local, regional, national and international level.
Knights Academy remains a beacon for sporting excellence across the South East.
Every pupil benefits from the effects of the specialism through cross curricular learning and extensive extracurricular activities. Our focus is on building future Olympians and professional sports performers alongside providing a platform for all to succeed and develop a lifelong passion in sport and exercise. Participating and setting such a high standard of achievement boosts esteem and aspirations of those involved thus inspiring all other pupils and greatly adding to the ethos of the Academy.
Knights Academy moved into a new building in April 2007 with outstanding sporting facilities and equipment. The Academy hosts and organises many sporting festivals and competitions throughout the year both for Lewisham and the South East.
- State of the art sports hall
- High tech dance studio
- Diverse and modern fitness suite
- ICT PE classroom
- Three netball courts
- Three tennis courts
- Three rugby pitches
- Three football pitches
- Two cricket pitches
- Floodlit Astro Turf
- Athletics track and field areas
- Indoor and outdoor cricket nets
- Dedicated table tennis room
The aim of the specialism is to positively impact and greatly enhance every pupil's learning experience.
Mr Robert Ellis, Ofsted Inspector, noted the positive impact in his March 2008 report:
Students show an exceptional awareness of healthy lifestyles and recognise the importance of regular exercise.
The Sports Enrichment Programme at Knights Academy is outstanding and provides numerous participation and excellent opportunities. All major team games and individual activities are offered with teams entering local, regional, national and international competitions.
The PE and Sports Team is supported by specialist coaches in basketball, rugby, football, netball and table tennis.
Notable achievements include, but are not limited to:
- Under 15 boys English Schools Football Association Cup National Champions
- Individual National Finalists in English Schools Athletics Association
- England representatives at the Danone Schools European Championships
- London Schools FA Champions
- Under 15 boys English Schools Basketball Association National Champions
- Under 13 girls Football team Minute Maid Football Cup National Champions
- Bromley Netball Champions
- Lewisham Netball Champions