Curriculum Director of English | Ms K Holmes | Email: email@example.com
THE AIMS OF THE DEPARTMENT ARE:
- to encourage pupils to share in our passion for our subject,
- to provide students with an engaging and challenging curriculum that ensures all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities within the different areas of English (reading, writing and speaking and listening),
- to encourage pupils to be keen readers and show a mature understanding of a range of challenging texts,
- to prepare students for the world of work by being able to express their ideas fluently and imaginatively in both writing and speaking,
- to encourage pupils to learn to be effective independent learners, able to think for themselves while also being sensitive to the needs of others.
Key Stage 3
Our Key Stage 3 Curriculum Map encourages pupils to study a variety of texts which are linked thematically, and to respond in written and spoken form to these texts.
A Unit of study will incorporate a variety of text forms and is taught over two terms to ensure there is sufficient depth to pupils’ knowledge and understanding.
- World At War (Boy in the Striped Pyjamas; Lord of the Flies)
- Introduction to Shakespeare (Mid-Summer Night’s Dream; Othello)
- The Dark Side (Gothic texts including Edgar Allen Poe and Ballads)
- Heroes and Villains (Frankenstein; Room 13)
- History and Language and Literature
- The Future (1984; Extracts from The Day of the Triffids and The Hunger Games)
- Conflict (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde; A Selection of Poetry preparing pupils for GCSE responses)
- Renaissance England (Othello and Metaphysical Poetry)
- Different Cultures (Of Mice and Men; Noughts and Crosses)
Key Stage 4
We currently offer the following GCSEs at Key Stage 4, both of which all pupils take throughout Years 10 and 11.
We study the iGCSE Exam Board (English – First Language 0522) which consists of the following components:
- Exam (All pupils currently sit the Extended Paper 2) – This is assessed for reading. Pupils answer three questions on a passage. Worth 40% of total marks.
- Coursework Portfolio – Pupils submit three assignments, each of 500-800 words. These are predominantly assessed for writing. Worth 40% of the total marks.
- Speaking and Listening - Pupils prepare a speech on a topic of their choosing (with guidance from their teacher) and present this to an assessor who then asks questions to prompt a discussion on the subject. The task takes about 10 minutes and is worth 20% of the total marks.
Pupils study the AQA Specification (9715) which consists of the following Units:
- Unit 1 (Exploring Modern Texts): Exam (Ihr 30 mins). Worth 40% of the total GCSE
Section A Modern Drama – The Crucible or An Inspector Calls
- Section B Exploring Cultures – To Kill a Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men
- Unit 2 Poetry Across Time: Exam (1 hr 15 mins). Worth 35% of the total GCSE
Section A: Poetry cluster from the Anthology
- Section B: Responding to an Unseen Poem
- Unit 3 Approaching Shakespeare and the English Literary Heritage: Controlled Assessment. Worth 25% of the total GCSE.